Tuesday, September 20, 2011

watermelon "pizza" salad

So I had a little dinner party with my friends and tried this out, and it was a great hit! Even though here in northern England it might be a bit chilly to have a watermelon salad, it's still a fresh and fun appetizer / salad idea.  I love the combination of the clean taste of watermelon with salty feta, kalamata olives and a bite of red onion.  I decided to put on some bacon for my friends (instead of olives). 
I used a sheep milk feta, but goat cheese would be great too.  Unfortunately I didn't add a green, but Arugula, mint or basil would all work beautifully.  I recently had a watermelon salad with an olive oil and thyme dressing, which was lovely.
I topped mine with a honey vinaigrette - mix a tablespoon or so of honey in some olive oil, add apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle this over the salad for a sweet finish.
Get creative and try different flavors! x

No comments:

Post a Comment