Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chicken bundles stuffed with goat cheese and thyme

I was looking through the food I cooked when I was home on break and I wanted to share this recipe with you guys - it is great because it looks super fancy but actually it's quite easy!  I'd say it's a nice one to make for a small dinner party.  The stuffing of goat cheese, fresh thyme and crispy shallots with a white wine sauce is a classic and winning combination.  I found the recipe at cheese please , when searching for ideas of a  chicken and cheese recipe.




you will need:
Olive Oil 
1 1/3 cups thinly sliced shallots (about 4 large ones)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
4 ounces crumbled goat cheese 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 
1 tablespoon fat-free milk 
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (Cut them in half lengthwise and pound them out to make 4 pieces)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine 
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
 Heat olive oil in a skillet, then add the shallots, salt and pepper.  Cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes then reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes.  Then uncover and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.  Transfer to a plate with paper towel to cool.
In a bowl, mix shallots, goat cheese, fresh thyme, salt, chopped parsley and milk.

Cut chicken breasts in half length-wise then pound them thin (a rolling pin works fine for this).  I recommend doing it in a plastic bag or some kind of covering to keep it clean.
Place a spoonful (or however much it will allow) into the middle of the chicken breast, then roll it up and secure with kitchen twine (we had plain string, works fine).  Season outside with salt and pepper.

Add more olive oil to the pan and put on medium high heat.  Place chicken bundles in the pan for 5 minutes, letting the bottoms brown well.  Then turn the chicken over, reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is done.
To make the sauce: when the chicken is done, remove from pan and let stand 10 minutes.  Add the white wine, bringing it to a boil and scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan.  Cook until reduced by half (2 mins) then add the chicken broth and cook for until reduced by 1/4, about 9 minutes. 
 Serve on top of the chicken.
YUM. Now get cooking and impress your friends! 
I've got to go study for my last final exam tomorrow! Then will be sharing some easy soup recipes - best food in winter xx

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sabrina, my mouth is watering! Bravo! I am always looking for recipes like these. For humanitarian as well as environmental concerns I'd like to cut out all animals from my diet. As a family we are not quite there...but we are trying. Your photographs and recipes are wonderful and inspirational. I'm going to try some of these right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm so glad you like them! What a great goal for your family. I myself eat very little meat (poultry and fish), so look out for more veggie recipes :)

    ReplyDelete