Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer Season: Rhubarb Compote

Summer is in full swing and that means delicious tomatoes (probably my favorite fruit/veg of all) and beautiful stalks of rhubarb.  Inspired by the UK's obsession with rhubarb - rhubarb yogurt and pies are always available at all seasons- I thought I'd make my own compote that can be spread on anything or mixed into fresh yogurt.  Best place to buy summer's goodness? At the farmer's market.




Simple Rhubarb Compote
1 1/2 lbs rhubarb (4 cups 1/2 inch pieces)
1 cup sugar   
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


Combine rhubarb pieces with sugar and lemon juice in a pot over medium-high heat, stirring.
Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover, stirring occasionally.  You want it to reduce to a thick syrupy consistency, in all around 10 minutes.


After it is cooked down, let the compote cool then transfer to a jar or container and place in the fridge.  I find glass containers perfect for storing homemade condiments.

It is wonderful on yogurt, on pancakes or french toast as I did the other morning :) If you want to make Strawberry-Rhubarb compote, simply add strawberries in the pot.
** Remember to not include any of the rhubarb leaves!  They are poisonous and cannot be eaten.**

6 comments:

  1. I can attest to the awesomeness of this compote--I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make a lot of great things with rhubarb in Sweden, but one of my favorites as a kid was just walking around trying to eat the incredibly sour stalks... I'd nibble away at one stalk for hours, making faces all the while.

    We Swedes have a weird penchant for very sour and very salty sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so you found my blog ;) that sounds funny! I'm actual terrible at eating that kind of sour things, I can't stand it. But I came to love rhubarb more in the UK.

      Delete
    2. I did. I'm very impressed with all of this, you're quite talented. Have you tried salmiak? It's a special kind of salty licorice that we eat a lot in the Nordic countries. If you haven't tried, I can highly recommend it.

      Delete
    3. Actually, yes! I tried it in a Danish candy shop in Edinburgh, Scotland, of all places! I really loved it! The owner of the shop was impressed she said the one I had was super salty. It was a coin-shaped one; I bought a bag of them...yum!

      Delete
    4. I like ice cream more than I should, and I was very happy to find that my parents had bought salmiak ice cream last time I was home - best addition to Trivial Pursuit night ever.

      Speaking of ice cream: Rhubarb & Cheesecake - one of the best ice cream flavors I ever tried.

      Delete