Monday, November 26, 2012

Bean eats in Boracay!

Standard Filipino breakfast - eggs, rice and tocino! Love how rice is often fried up with garlic.
Hello Again! 
I fear due to my dissertation hiatus and well, pure laziness to be honest, I have lost the few followers I had gained, but at any rate, I'm BACK! With tasty food inspiration and recipes plus some more thoughts about healthy eating.

For now, here's the newest in my travel food log: Please feast your eyes on some Filipino treats! I was surprised by the food there, as it was a lot of chicken and rice and not as many veggies as I expected. They also tend towards sweet flavors and not spicy, such as their Tocino pork/bacony thing that is part of a classic Filipino breakfast. I partook in the chicken tocino version.  And we cannot forget the incredible Adobo - a Filipino specialty and honestly some of the best chicken I've eaten in my life.




Salted fish on omlette, with capers and of course, on top on some fried garlic rice. NOM.
 Red Horse Beer local and strong (think it was around 7%?) and fruit shakes is almost all you need to get through a day in Boracay.

Sinigang! (At Smoke House - cheap and tasty) It's extremely sour. Think Tomyum soup but not spicy and more sour! and delicious. I thought it was funny because I asked the waitress if it was spicy, she said no, but neglected to say how sour it was. I think the difference is in China they would surely mention the flavor when ordering. This easily became a favorite of mine. Served with Filipino tomatoes and okra, as well as pork, shrimp, or fish.

Adobo at Bay Leaf Cafe -- twice cooked chicken, first boiled in the adobo marinade and then pan fried to crispy moist perfection.  This is the classic here - note they put the adobo sauce on the side for dipping, or you can pour it over your garlic rice...your call!  I went back for the spicy adobo (and the creamy they add coconut milk to the sauce!) 

OK, here's where it gets kind of hairy..or erm, feathery?! (ew) This is Balut, a fertilized duck egg, eaten and loved widely in the Philippines. I was told that everyone has slight preferences of how they eat their Balut (ie: plain, or with a bit of vinegar, sauce etc.) Supposedly you can also get different "ages" ie: amount of days the chick has grown, but let's not get into that.



Here's a brave brit tasting Balut (egged on by me...pun intended) As unappetizing as it looks, in the end he said it really just tastes like a regular egg.  Well done! And so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment