Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Best Brownies (yes, best)

sorry no beautiful photos, so got this one from buns in my oven who used same recipe..thanks!
As holiday season is in full swing, and sugarplum fairies dance in my head, like many people, I too am having a holiday party this weekend.  We all know desserts are huge during Christmas and one thing I love given my love of chocolate is brownies, which will definitely be included in my spread of treats.  Now that I've made these easy and yes, the BEST brownies I think, I can never ever go back to brownies in a box.  Try these babies out at your holiday or other shindig and let me know how they go over (brought these for a friend's housewarming and the last one was being fought over).


This recipe is from David Lebovitz, which I ever so slightly adapted, I added a bit of bakers chocolate and less bittersweet to give it a deeper chocolate flavor..you can also do all bakers chocolate and adjust for more sugar accordingly, smitten kitchen suggests 3 ounces (85 grams) unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped and 1 1/3 cups (265 grams) granulated sugar.

Also helpful note (taken from leitesculinaria blog) :
This recipe takes well to mix-ins. I’ll sometimes add 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries or 1/3 cup cocoa nibs to the batter. To make minty brownies, crush the contents of one 50-gram tin of peppermint Altoids in a sturdy resealable plastic bag. Add the crushed mints to the batter along with the nuts (or, if you prefer, omit the nuts). If you like very minty brownies, add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract along with the crushed mints.
David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz's Best Brownies Recipe

Ingredients

  • 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted or salted butter, cut into pieces ( I used a stick, and just rubbed some on foil) 
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped 
  • (I am a brownie purest! but feel free to add)

Preheat Oven to 350 F (170 C) 

Line a 8x8 square baking pan with foil; cover completely, foil can hang over edges, and lightly butter the foil. Also I only had a 9 3/4 square pan and it worked fine.

In a saucepan melt the butter over low heat then add the chocolate; stir until melted and smooth.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla until combined. Beat the eggs in by hand, 1 at a time. Add the flour and stir energetically for 1 full minute—time yourself—until the batter loses its graininess, becomes smooth and glossy, and pulls away a bit from the sides of the saucepan.
* Seriously, make sure you stir "energetically" and for the full minute or you won't get the amazing, perfect chewiness that this brownie has!! *  (if adding, stir in chopped nuts)

Pour into pan and cook until the center is "almost set" -- don't overcook! 

Let cool completely (this takes a lot of willpower) and then lift foil out of pan and cut into squares. 


Enjoy these squares of chocolaty, chewy goodness with loved ones <3

No comments:

Post a Comment