Sunday, April 14, 2013

Maja and James' Banana Bread


This is the most perfect banana bread and that's all I can say. It's the perfect intersection of bread/cake, moist, and the right amount of banana-ness. You'll have to try it yourself to see what I mean. This recipe was given to me from one of my nearest and dearest friends, Maja, which makes it more special. Maja is a great cook and in college we use to stay up studying in her cozy apartment and many times that would include Maja whipping up late night snacks like Thai chicken soup and/or baking something like this bread. OK, I'm talking to her as I write this and she just told me that it is a James Beard recipe...but to me it will always be Maja's banana bread, hence the title I used. The original recipe adds walnuts, but I prefer mine without. Last time I had some almond slices so I decided to sprinkle some on the top and it was lovely. So in my opinion, and in Maja's words, here is the greatest banana bread:


Maja's Banana Bread 
(makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup room-temperature butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 (very) ripe bananas (seriously if they're black it's great)
2 eggs

2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

1/3 cup milk
1 t lemon juice or vinegar

walnuts (or other nuts optional)

Cream together the butter and sugar. Mash the bananas and mix them with the butter and sugar. Add the eggs; mix well.

Combine the dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt). Add the lemon / vinegar to the milk. Alternating between dry and liquid, add the ingredients to the butter-sugar-banana-egg mixture, mixing well after each addition. You should start and end by adding dry ingredients. Then add chopped walnuts (as many or as few as you want).

Pour into a buttered loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour + (It almost always takes longer) until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the pan after a few minutes out of the oven (if you're not careful you'll lose the bottom of the bread and have a tasty, hot mess!) and allow to cool on a cooling rack.




Enjoy and spread the love xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete