Saturday, November 23, 2013

Back to the blog: Tomato Mustard Tart



Hello! I stopped blogging for a while there: busy with a new job, moved apartments... now I'm settled, still cooking, and want to revive this blog again! My flatmate and good friend Lauren is also a fabulous cook, so I've loved being able to cook together and for more people.

I've been very into baking tarts recently. Especially when you buy pastry sheets (or puff pastry) it is so easy! Tarts look beautiful and you can impress your friends with little work and delicious results. It's also a time to get creative, just think of all the options between sweet and savory ones. I enjoy a tart paired with a soup in the autumn and winter time for a cozy meal.


I loved this tart - sweet tomatoes and a punch of Dijon - I've made it twice now, the second time I added more mustard as it was not Dijony enough for me, the original calls for 2 tablespoons. I used Grey Poupon - if your Dijon is stronger I'd say 2 tablespoons is enough. 

I didn't make the dough, but you can check the dough recipe below. 

Clotilde Dusoulier's Tomato Mustard Tart 
makes one 11-12 inch tart
1 large egg, separated
1 3/4 pounds (800 grams) plum or cherry tomatoes
Fine sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, more for drizzling (optional)
2 small red onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (3 1/2 if using grey poupon or mild one)
Basil leaves, if available
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 325 F (160 C).
2. Add some water to the egg white, whisk and brush the tart dough with the mixture.Bake for 30 minutes.
3. Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and squeeze out the juice and seeds and core. Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and place the tomatoes face down in a colander to drain. 
4. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the onions are very soft, but not browned. Let cool slightly.
5. Add the egg yolk and any remaining white and the mustard to the onions and spread over the crust. Arrange the tomatoes over the onion layer, cut side down. Drizzle the tart with more olive oil to taste (optional). Bake the tart until the tomatoes are wrinkled and fragrant, 45 minutes.
6. Top with shredded basil and black pepper and serve warm or let cool and store at room temperature overnight.
For the tart dough:
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon toasted poppy seeds (optional)
1 large egg
1. Combine the flour, salt and seeds, if using, in a bowl. Add the oil, egg and 1/4 cup/60 ml of water and mix them in with a fork until absorbed. Knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together in a smooth ball.
2. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, turning it every so often, so that it doesn't stick to the surface or pin. Avoid overworking the dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled 11- or 12-inch tart pan and line it neatly. Chill for 30 minutes.
If you're like me and not bothering to make dough, an idea is to press poppy seeds or sesame seeds into your pastry sheet to get the flavor and texture- next time I'll definitely try sesame.
I really want to buy Clotilde's newest cookbook, The French Market Cookbook focusing on seasonal vegetarian cooking from her Parisian kitchen. Love. 
enjoy xx

2 comments:

  1. I ran across your blog and really enjoy some of the recipes, especially the 土豆丝。I lived in china for a few years and fell in love with the food in 四川。One dish I loved was 辣子鸡。I especially love when it is prepared with 花椒 and was wondering if you could post a step by step English recipe similar to your 土豆丝 recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan, Sorry for the extremely late reply. I'm actually not very experienced with Chinese cooking, but slowly learning! I think you mean the 辣子鸡 that is very deep fried with the Sichuan peppercorns? The Sichuan peppercorns, red chilli and cumin are a must for that.

      Delete